Sunday 18 June 2017

Swords Of Cerebus Vol 6: Cerebus #23-25


PAUL SLADE:
Published between 1981 and 1984, Dave’s six Swords of Cerebus volumes were his first attempt to collect the book in a more permanent form. He gave each story included in these volumes a prose introduction, explaining where the book stood when he’d been working on that particular issue and how he was thinking of its prospects at the time. This is the second of Swords volume 6’s three introductions, so make the most of it – we’re nearly at the finish line. Also check out the full 'Swords Of Cerebus' Introductions Index.

The news Dave refers to near the end of this intro is the murder of John Lennon, who was shot dead on December 8, 1980. For more on Dave’s Rochester trip, see his intro to The Morning After.


“I had decided to make Chris X. Claremont this enormous negative force
who wants to destroy everything around him,” says Dave.

Next week: Spunky, the Charming Giant

6 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Everybody who was over the age of, say, 12 that night knows where they were. I was bowling at the University of Minnesota bowling alley. I even remember exactly how patchy the snow cover was.

Thanks for this one, Tim - I'd never seen it before.

Jimmy Gownley said...

I was only 8 and I remember. I was watching Monday Night Football with my dad. Howard Cosell announced it. This introduction always gave me chills.

Michael Grabowski said...

I haven't read this intro in years. I remember the key parts of it but hadn't realized that even then Dave had a sense of what he now calls comic art metaphysics.

Thanks again to Paul and Tim for posting these long lost intros. Valuable reading!

Damian T. Lloyd, Esq. said...

Michael G.: Yeah, Dave said that he was an atheist when he was young, but he's not by this time -- "There was something out there." I think he changed his preference to "There is something out there."

-- Damian

Jeff Seiler said...

Yes, would that it were that Paul could continue providing us with these wonderful, decades-old, insights into the making of "Cerebus".

Perhaps, next, Paul, the Notes From The President?

I have all six volumes of SOC, but I am not aware of volume 6's supplement.

That should be entertaining.

How much to buy it from you, eh?

Jeff Seiler said...

Oh, and Damian, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think (IIRC) that what Dave said, or thought, to himself was, "There's something there, there."

But, splitting hairs, eh?

Still, we could, both of us, look it up.

Best,

Jeff