Wednesday 7 June 2017

Good RIDdance

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.


We've looked at Dave Sim's notebook #26 only twice before. First in Cool's Right and last in Pig's Ear. It covers Cerebus #224 through #230 and only had 58 pages scanned.

Most of the notebook is hand written notes - either bits of Rick's Book, dialogue between Cerebus and Dave, etc. So when I saw a couple of pages with sketches of Joanne, I stopped on them.

The first one I saw was on page 16. I love the hunched look and clenched fists, and the sound effects and dialogue - one gets the sense that she is highly irritated while the other party is glad to be done with an upset Joanne.

Notebook #26, page 16
The next page that jumped out at me was Joanne thinking that if she plays hard to get, that Rick would fall in love and cast away Cerebus' friendship.  How so much can be said without a single word.

Notebook #26, page 26


No comments: