Wednesday 21 June 2017

Blasphemous Lies

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

We've only looked at Dave Sim's notebook #28 once before in June of 2015. The notebook was labeled as Cerebus #227, but covers more of Rick's Story, and as I looked at it, I saw some of one of my favorite Cerebus issues: Cerebus #244.

Pages #23 and 24 are just text, some crossed out and more written in. They would become a couple pages in the chapter called Singularity in F. Stop's novel Pleasure's Simple Life.

Notebook #28 page 23

Notebook #28 page 24
The pages are from the middle of Cerebus #244, pages 12 and 13 - or Going Home pages 258 and 259.

Pleasure's Simple Life pages 55 & 56



4 comments:

Tony Dunlop said...

Dave Sim: Comics' Greatest Mimic. Not only could he "do": Barry (Windsor-)Smith; Neal Adams; John Byrne; Mort Drucker; Bill Sinkiewicz (sp?) (sort of) visually, but here he "did" Fitzgerald, and later on Hemingway, in prose.

Great stuff, Margaret; keep it coming!

Jeff Seiler said...

Tony--When did Dave "do" John Byrne? I don't remember that.

Tony again said...

Some time ago, a Sim Captain Canuck drawing was posted here in Byrne's style. I can't be bothered to go find it, though.

Jeff Seiler said...

Ah, okay, I remember that. I thought you meant in the Cerebus book.