Sunday 31 August 2014

Cerebus False Starts: Method Acting

DAVE SIM:
When you're keeping a monthly comic book on schedule, there really isn't an opportunity to "redo" pages. On the other hand, if you have serious doubts, there is a window of opportunity to change your mind. Sometimes the window was a little wider than it was at other times:

Issue 200 page 11 -- What I was attempting to do here was to visually "method act" Cerebus coming apart at the seams on "Juno" as he comes to the conclusion that he's been an a--hole all along (and is completely unaware that he's going to continue to be an a--hole). Basically "Paint It Black". It was the page that I was working on as people were arriving from out of town for the Spirits of Independence stop in Kitchener. Once the stress of that was out of my life, I was able to rethink what I was trying to say and to have Cerebus about to shed floods of tears -- and to have the sound of ringing telephone come out instead.

6 comments:

Travis Pelkie said...

And get some Billy the Sink style work out of your system, too. Looks neat, even if it didn't fit the book.

Anonymous said...

I think it actually works well as a stand-alone piece unfinished as it is.

-Reginald P.

Slumbering Agartha said...

"Travis Pelkie said...

And get some Billy the Sink style work out of your system, too."

Are we talking Sienciewicz? If so, nice observation, and great nickname to boot. Assuming you ARE talking about Sienciewicz, I've always read his name as "Science Wiz", and he's always been "The Wiz" in my mind.

I've really been enjoying these outtakes, I hope it keeps rolling.

Gabe McCann said...

But he doesn't eat ants

Travis Pelkie said...

Yeah, I was talking Bill Sienkiewicz (if I spelled it right either). Not my nickname for him, I first read it in Eddie Campbell's Alec strip about the late 80s and the Tundra money and so forth. And I've either seen others refer to him that way or I've helped people refer to him that way :)

I believe it's pronounced "sin-kev-itch", and I think that's why one of the Roach's voice is called "Kevitch" (sp?)

Ray Cornwall said...

I would totally put an eBay bid on that piece as-is.