Wednesday 2 April 2014

The Comicshopper #300

The Comicshopper #300 (2010)
Cover art by Dave Sim

BRENT-NANCY STRATICHUK:
(via Cerebus Facebook Group, 10 March 2014)
...I've worked at The Comicshop in Vancouver since 1985. The store itself has been around since 1974 and has therefore carried and supported Dave Sim's Cerebus since issue #1. Though I was aware of the series from around the Wolveroach storyline, which obviously made me think it was nothing more than a Marvel parody comic, I finally picked up my first issue (#73) based on those beautifully illustrated Sim/Gerhard covers from the Church & State period. Of course, I've been hooked ever since, always citing Cerebus as the prime example of what the comics medium is capable of achieving. Not long after I started working there, The Comicshop began its own monthly newsletter, The Comicshopper (naturally!), which eventually ran over 300 issues, most of which I also contributed to. As the eventual editor of the newsletter, and as we were approaching our OWN 300-issue milestone, I felt it was an obvious choice to request an original piece of cover art from Dave himself to commemorate the achievement, seeing as how HIS landmark work has been the major inspiration behind MY ongoing interest in this business. The result, pictured here, has to be one of the proudest moments of my career! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jeff Seiler said...

Okay, I'm ordering a back copy of that newsletter ASAP! Hell, I'll PAY for it!